Whether you’re replacing an existing fence or installing one in a brand-new location, you may find the sheer number of available fencing options a bit overwhelming. From chain-link fences to wooden stockade fences to PVC, composite, and vinyl, the options are nearly endless.
But for many, aluminum fences hit that sweet spot between durability and affordability. Below, we’ll discuss some unique advantages of aluminum fences, as well as how much you might expect to pay—and how long you can expect your new fence to last.
Advantages of Aluminum Fencing
Aluminum fences didn’t really take off until the last couple of decades—but when homeowners learned how easy they were to maintain in like-new condition (and contractors discovered how easy they were to install), they’ve continued to rise in popularity. Some advantages of aluminum fencing include:
- Durability and appearance. Because aluminum is naturally corrosion-resistant, these fences continue to look and function like new for years. Unlike wood and vinyl fences, they shouldn’t require regular pressure-washing to remove dust, dirt, and grimy buildup; wiping them down occasionally with a damp towel may be all that’s needed.
- Lightweight. Aluminum fences are much lighter than other metal and wood fences, making them easier and less expensive to install.
- Versatility. Aluminum fences can be shaped and molded to look like wrought iron, vinyl, steel, or just about any other material. This means you can get the look of a much more expensive fence at a lower cost.
- Uniformity. Because aluminum fences are manufactured to exacting standards usually pre-formed, they’re easy to match and create a uniform appearance—you don’t need to worry about certain boards weathering more quickly or having to replace an entire section of fence due to one or two imperfections.
- Low cost. Aluminum is generally one of the cheaper options when compared to other fencing materials, and the recent spike in lumber prices has only widened this gap.
These advantages make aluminum hard to beat for anyone who wants to install a durable, low-maintenance, and budget-friendly fence.
How Much Do Aluminum Fences Cost?
Much of the price of your fence will depend on its size, height, color, and the type of panels you choose, as well as the cost of labor in your region.
According to Home Advisor, the typical aluminum fence will cost between $2,198 and $5,585 (including both materials and installation). Meanwhile, LawnStarter estimates the price range from $3,111 to $6,753. The smaller your fence and the easier your property makes the installation process, the less you’ll generally pay. If you’re able to DIY your fence installation, you may be able to reduce this cost even further.
Many aluminum fences come in pre-assembled panels which can be racked, which means you can simply slide the panel over the support posts, then secure them. But installing these posts themselves can range from simple (if you have a flat, square lot with a healthy layer of topsoil) to tough (if your lawn is at an angle or if you’re dealing with clay-heavy or rocky soil). Fortunately, these panels should be able to adjust to the slope of your property, eliminating any gaps between the bottom of your fence and the ground.
How Long Do Aluminum Fences Last?
Because of its corrosion resistance, aluminum fences are often used to surround pools and outdoor spas—this material is less vulnerable to long-term damage from moisture and pool chemicals. These fences can also be used to enclose a patio, create an attractive border along the sidewalk or walkway, or provide privacy in your backyard.
When properly installed and minimally maintained, an aluminum fence should last for decades. Aluminum is strong and able to withstand damage; unlike lighter white or tan vinyl fences, the black aluminum fences don’t show mold and mildew stains as readily.
Most colored aluminum fences have a powder coating applied, which helps the fence also withstand extreme heat, cold, and other weather conditions. As a result, many aluminum fence manufacturers offer warranties of anywhere from 20 years to a “lifetime.” Though these warranties may not cover reinstallation or repair costs, but just the cost of the replacement fencing materials, they can provide further peace of mind that your fence will look and function like new for many years to come.
Find Long-Lasting Aluminum Fences at Fence Outlet
At Fence Outlet, we offer quality aluminum fences for property owners looking for a long-lasting and low-maintenance fencing option in Central Florida. Explore our selection of aluminum fences and accessories and reach out to our fence experts today.