WOOD PRIVACY FENCE VS PVC PRIVACY FENCE: PROS AND CONS
If you want to keep nosy neighbors or random passersby from seeing what’s going on in your yard, installing a privacy fence is the way to go. Privacy fences are available in a range of materials and styles. To qualify as a privacy fence, fencing needs to be at least 4-feet tall and be solid.
When deciding between a PVC privacy fence and a wood privacy fence in Orlando, Fl., it helps to weigh the pros and cons of each option first. The expert fence installers at Fence Outlet can also help you decide between a PVC or wood privacy fence.
WOOD PRIVACY FENCES: PROS
As a fencing material, wood offers many benefits to homeowners. Here are just a few:
- Affordable cost. Wood fences in Orlando, Fl. tend to be among the most affordable fencing options. The exact cost of your fence will depend on its size and whether you choose pine or cypress.
- Easy cleaning and repairs. Wood is a pretty easy material to clean if it gets dirty. You can wipe it down with soap and water and rinse it off. If part of the fence needs to be repaired or replaced, it’s a short job to remove the damaged picket or post.
- Choice of colors and styles. Wood offers a lot of flexibility when it comes to style. You can paint your fence or stain it. You can also choose pickets or balusters that are cut into intricate or interesting shapes.
WOOD PRIVACY FENCES: CONS
Wood fences do have some drawbacks that are worth being aware of as a homeowner. If you choose a wood fence, keep in mind the following:
- It requires maintenance. Wood is a natural material and it will wear down over time and with exposure to the elements. You can keep your wood fence looking new with regular maintenance, such as a new coat of stain or paint, and regular cleaning.
- Pests love some types of wood. Wood can be subject to damage from pests. The good news is that there are some types of wood, such as cypress, that are pest (termite) resistant.
PVC PRIVACY FENCES: PROS
PVC privacy fences offer some benefits to homeowners and they might be the right option for you. Some of the advantages of PVC privacy fences include:
- They are durable. PVC fences are generally maintenance free and are built to last.
- They can withstand extreme weather. The strength of PVC fences means that they can usually withstand extreme weather, such as Florida’s thunderstorms and hurricanes.
- They resist rust. The materials used to make PVC privacy fences are usually either rust-resistant or specially treated to repel rust.
PVC PRIVACY FENCE: CONS
No fencing option is perfect, and PVC privacy fences do have a few drawbacks. They include:
- Higher cost. Vinyl fencing materials tend to cost more upfront than wood. In exchange for the higher cost, you often get a longer fence life, which can help to make a PVC privacy fence more affordable in the long run.
Should you choose a wood or a PVC fence? The pros at Fence Outlet can help you decide. Visit one of our seven locations in Florida to learn more today.